There are many ways you can prepare your body and mind for your detox. There are undeniable benefits of fasting but there are side effects as well. Feeling tired, agitated and craving sugar are among the most common. There are however some guidelines to help prepare your body and mind for your detox program.
We recommend cutting out stressful activities in the days prior to your detox. It’s also important to get good quality sleep, especially the day before you begin.
We also suggest you prepare your body for your detox by beginning to purify your diet 2-7 days prior to fasting. Drinking a minimum of 2 to 3 liters of good quality filtered or mineral water each day before your fast is a powerful way to being the cleansing process.
By eliminating overstimulating foods you prepare your liver and reduce cleansing side effects. For example, many people experience a headache when they skip their morning coffee or sugary snacks; beginning to wean yourself off caffeine, sugar and processed foods before the cleanse will create less discomfort during your detox. You’ll want to replace these overstimulating foods with a clean diet that supports a healthy liver. Below are suggested guidelines for your pre-fast diet.
Foods to Eliminate:
- Drugs (including over-the-counter drugs)
- Stimulants including chocolate
- Sugar (including honey, dried fruit and fruit juice)
- Refined carbohydrates (including white rice and flour products)
- Artificial sweeteners
- Very hot spices
- Refined salt
- Chemicals and preservatives
- Gluten (wheat, oats and other grains found in bread, pasta, soy sauces & vinegar)
- Dairy (milk, yogurt, and cheeses)
- Meat, Eggs, Poultry (any animal byproducts should be avoided)
- Food cooked in oil
- Soy protein isolates
Foods to Add:
- Vegetables and Vegetable Juices (preferably organic, raw or lightly steamed)
- Some fruit (limit amount of sweet tropical fruits and juices)
- Whole grains
- Sea vegetables (seaweed, nori)
CONTACT US if you have any questions about preparing for your detox.