Get the most out of your time on Detox at Ananda
We have put together the following information as a recommendation for at least 2-7 days before you start fasting.
It is best to prepare your body by eliminating the foods, thoughts & emotions listed below that are over stimulating and can exhaust the liver, body and mind:
- Alcohol, drugs including over-the-counter, tobacco, caffeine & stimulants including chocolate
- Sugar and all its relatives, including honey, dried fruit and fruit juice
- Refined carbohydrates including white rice and flour products
- Artificial sweeteners and chemicals
- Very hot spices
- Refined salt
- Chemicals and preservatives
- Gluten (from Latin “glue”) wheat, oats & other grains found in bread, pasta, soy sauces & vinegar
- Dairy: milk, yogurt, and cheeses
- Food cooked in oil except lightly with virgin coconut or olive oil
- Meat and eggs with hormones & antibiotics
- Soy protein isolates
- Non-organic produce
Reducing or eliminating these liver-stressors for (at least) 2-7 days prior to starting the detox program will support your liver and reduce cleansing reactions. Drinking a minimum of 3 to 4 liters of good quality filtered or mineral water each day before your fast is a powerful way to begin the flushing process in the body.
Include foods that create balance and support the body and mind: vegetables, sea vegetables, fruits (limit amount of sweet tropical fruit and juices), whole grains, beans, nuts, and seeds.
If possible, eat a cleansing diet of mostly raw (or lightly steamed) vegetables and fruit with a few whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds the week before and after fasting.